Saturday, August 22, 2009

The Lovely Bones

I will start off by saying I am not much of a reader. I don't have the motivation or concentration to read, it just takes too long and I prefer to watch the movie. However, one of the books I was encouraged to read a couple years ago, The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, has become one of my favorites. It's about a young girl named Susie Salmon who is raped and murdered at the beginning of the book and narrates the story from heaven while she is trying to lead those she loves to the man who killed her. Go figure that the book I read is now becoming a movie! It's being released on December 11 and has a great cast! Susie is being played by a very talented Irish actress, Saoirse Ronan, who was also in Atonement. Other actors include Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Susan Sarandon, and Stanley Tucci. Coming from someone who doesn't normally take the time to pick up a book, I really enjoyed this one. I read it a couple years ago and it has still stuck with me. If you haven't read it, I highly suggest it...or you can just wait for the movie :P!

2 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this but I am afraid it will make me depressed...any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad but the focus of the story isn't on her being killed, it's about her trying to lead people to find out who killed her while she's in heaven. I don't remember feeling depressed after I read it, but it did stick with me for a while. I loved it and would recommend it...if it makes you sad you can blame me :P.

    ReplyDelete