Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Sans Suds

So a couple posts ago I mentioned I was doing a couple experiments with homemade health & beauty products, but in that post I only mentioned the 'oil-cleansing method' (which is going GREAT by the way!).  One of the other things I've been doing is NO shampoo or conditioner!!  Before you start thinking I'm some sort of hippy let me assure you I am still washing and conditioning my hair, just not with commercial products that contain unnatural ingredients that build up on my hair and scalp. 

So how do you wash your hair without shampoo and conditioner you ask?  It's very simple and inexpensive...baking soda and unfiltered apple cider vinegar!  I should start by saying that I was not really expecting anything great when I started this; in fact I expected to hate it and go back to my regular products.  After using it for about a week, though, my hair felt lighter, healthier, shinier, and easier to manage than EVER before!  I've been doing it for about a month now and am still loving it!

All the ingredients I used are pictured below. 


To make the shampoo simply mix 1 T. of baking soda with 1 C. of warm water and stir to dissolve.  Pour it into a squirt bottle and it's ready to use!  The conditioner is also 1 T. of apple cider vinegar (make sure it's the raw-unfiltered kind. Our grocery store carries it but if you can't find it there you can get it at any health food/vitamin store) to 1 C. of water.  I prefer using a spray bottle for this; it allows me to spray it exactly where I want it.  When you're ready to use your new homemade goodies, get in the shower and apply the shampoo to the roots of your hair while it's still dry.  Work it in while squirting it on your scalp making sure all your roots have been covered (you don't need to apply this to the entire length of your hair, just focus mainly on your scalp and roots).  After about a minute rinse it out and squeeze out the excess water.  Now it's time to spray your conditioner to the bottom half of your hair-focusing on the ends.  Then just rinse and you're done!  I will warn you that the first few times I did this my roots got a little greasy.  This is normal!  Your scalp takes a little time to adjust to no chemicals.  After about a week I was good to go!  You can read more about how it works and the science behind it here



2 comments:

  1. Are you still happy using this instead of shampoo? I'm going to try it when my shampoo runs out.

    I've been using the oil cleansing method after hearing about it from you and someone else I know. It's been working great!! I've also tried the homemade deodorant (so far that's just okay, but most deodorant is just okay in my opinion). And homemade laundry soap. It's super cheap and pretty easy!! Have you seen anything to use as shower gel? I have a friend that just uses table salt as to exfoliate. I'm going to try that one sometime too.

    I've been super excited to try this stuff, so if you try more don't forget to post it!

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I still love it! I still use the same ratio (1T. baking soda and vinegar/1C. water)on the shampoo and conditioner and it works great! Every once in a while I'll use my old shampoo and conditioner because I miss the smell, but other than not smelling like anything I love it :).

    With the deodorant I bought a better quality coconut oil on Amazon, Nutiva Oraganic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, than the plain Organic Coconut Oil from Meijer I had been using. It makes a BIG difference in the deodorant! I thought it was just okay the first time I made it, but then I switched to the different coconut oil and it works GREAT! I don't know what kind you're using right now, but that's my experience. I think the main thing is to just make sure it's 'Virgin Coconut Oil' not just 'Coconut Oil'. I also use the virgin coconut oil as a moisturizer, and I use a TINY bit on the tips of my hair to smooth the ends and add some shine!

    I'm glad you like the oil-cleansing method! I still love it too! Once a week I'll add some sugar to it for exfoliating and that makes your skin even softer :).

    I used to make laundry detergent, but again I missed the smell of my old stuff :/. I did switch to using white vinegar for fabric softener at least (with great results!).

    I haven't switched to homemade shower gel. I just use plain ol' bar soap :). If you find something you like, though, let me know!

    I'll be sure to post if I come across some more of this kind of stuff. I get excited about it too :).

    ReplyDelete